- You should make sure that you keep well back from the vehicle in front. This will increase your ability to see and plan ahead.
- If the steering becomes unresponsive, it probably means that water is preventing your tyres from gripping the road. Ease off the accelerator and slow down gradually
- The rain and spray from vehicles may make it difficult to see and be seen
- Be aware of the dangers of spilt diesel that will make the surface very slippery
- Take extra care around pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists and horse riders
Thinking distance 20mph: 20 ft. Braking distance 20mph: 20 ft. Stopping distance 20mph: 40 ft.
Thinking distance 30mph: 30 ft. Braking distance 30mph: 45 ft. Stopping distance 30mph: 75 ft.
Thinking distance 40mph: 40 ft. Braking distance 40mph: 80 ft. Stopping distance 40mph: 120 ft.
Thinking distance 50mph: 50 ft. Braking distance 50mph: 125 ft. Stopping distance 50mph: 175 ft.
Thinking distance 60mph: 60 ft. Braking distance 60mph: 180 ft. Stopping distance 60mph: 240 ft.
Thinking distance 70mph: 70 ft. Braking distance 70mph: 245 ft. Stopping distance 70mph: 315 ft.
Thinking distance 20mph: 6 m Braking distance 20mph: 6 m Stopping distance 20mph: 12 m
Thinking distance 30mph: 9 m Braking distance 30mph: 14 m Stopping distance 30mph: 23 m
Thinking distance 40mph: 12 m Braking distance 40mph: 24 m Stopping distance 40mph: 36 m
Thinking distance 50mph: 15 m Braking distance 50mph: 38 m Stopping distance 50mph: 53 m
Thinking distance 60mph: 18 m Braking distance 60mph: 55 m Stopping distance 60mph: 73 m
Thinking distance 70mph: 21 m Braking distance 70mph: 75 m Stopping distance 70mph: 96 m